Thursday, September 30, 2010

A new normal...

As you all know Lilly had her lip and nose revision last week. Of course we loved her face. The one that I studied every detail of since December of 2008. The face that was full of expression. I loved her crooked nose. I. Loved. That. Face.



Our cleft doctor is one of the best on the East coast. Let me say that first. He has a HUGE heart for these cleft kids, and made a commitment to me early on that he would do everything in his power to have her look as "normal" as possible. Which I appreciate....I really do.

BUT....

I can't get used to it.  I feel as if I am mourning the loss of my beautiful child's face.  I wonder if I did the right thing.  Of course, I knew the world wouldn't see the beauty that I did in Lilly's crooked smile. I miss it.  Its a new normal, I suppose.  Maybe with time I will appreciate it.

That is the way it is with Mom's.  We just love our kids, crooked nose and all, and we never want to change their appearance, even if we could. I looked at crooked, and saw perfection.

And I miss it.







10 comments:

Stephanie said...

Awww, so sweet. Looks like the surgeon did a great job, but I know, to a momma's heart, a child's face is so precious. You are a good momma!

Chris said...

Wow! Lilly looks precious!

Your surgeon sounds like an amazing man!

I know exactly how you feel...
I love Shea and her crooked little nose & smile. To me, that is just who she is!

Her nose & lip revision will be coming soon....deep sigh!

Cheri said...

Wow, her cleft reminds me so much of Ivy's with the flat nose and no teeth. But, your dd looks great! Ivy is having her cleft surgery in December. The nose will be later. Just curious who your doctor is on the east coast since we are in Virginia.

Virginia said...

Wow, it looks like they did an amazing job. But I know as a Mama our child's sweet face is perfect just as it is. Hugs.

Gin =)

Liska said...

Wow, she looks great, but I understand how you must miss her crooked smile. She's beautiful before and after!

Sharon said...

Thanks for your sweet comment...after looking at the video you posted "Last 5 Minutes" you may well be my long lost sister...
Lilly is beautiful!!!

Traci said...

thank you so much for your encouragement...and for this post. I cried as I read it. Am crying.

I'm in the regretting it phase right now. Millie was perfect just as she was and we did this to her? I know it'll get better. I know I'll be glad in the long run. I appreciated you writing this because I feel like someone understands.

Lilly is gorgeous. Was gorgeous. She's perfect.

Thank you

Desiree' said...

Aww, she is sweet no matter what. I know what you mean, as a cleft mama myself. I love the crooked nose and lopsided smile....it takes awhiel to get used to the new face...

Shirlee McCoy said...

She's darling. No matter what. I understand, though. We love our children just the way they are, and we don't want them to change.

Unknown said...

Hey girl...got you message on insurance..will you email me? wearechinabound@gmail.com
Blessings, stacy