Tuesday, February 23, 2010

9 months home...Too good to be true.



WOW! Nine months home. Where has the time gone? Its funny because in one way it seems that Lilly has been here forever, and in another way it seems like just yesterday we were preparing to leave for China. Nine. Short. Months. Everything has changed for this little girl, for the best, but still EVERYTHING has changed. As a preschool teacher for many years, I would notice children who started to show signs that something was different at home. Relatives in town? Mom and Dad fighting? A different schedule? All of these little things can send a child all out of whack. Yet with Lilly it is not one of these small things that have changed for her, its everything, there is not one part of her life that is the same as it was nine months ago. I remember this time last year questioning how all of these changes would work out for her. Was I doing the right thing? In the end, I knew I was, this girl deserved a family to love her forever. Although change hurts, sometimes we have to experience it to move on to better things. My daughter amazes me! Who has that sort of resilience? My girl does.


I can honestly say that I feel we have come full circle in nine months. Attachment and bonding are great. No sensory problems. Behavior is wonderful 99.9% of the time. She is excelling in preschool. She is genuinely happy, mostly all the time. That is the one thing that people keep telling me....she is so happy! Actually I keep reading more and more books to see if I can find something I am missing. It really can not be this good, this fast? But it is, and of course we have all worked hard to get to the point we are at now, although it has not really seemed like work, just more like being open to meeting Lilly where she was emotionally, and taking baby steps together.

If you are reading my blog as a first timer, I will gladly help any way I can if you are considering adopting an older child, or adopting in general. You can contact me through the CONTACT US button on the side of the blog. I really can not put in to words what a blessing this adoption has been for our family, such a wonderful blessing that I want everyone to experience what we have experienced. I didn't have it all figured out before adopting Lilly, I walked in faith, and kept walking. It has been a beautiful journey, to a beautiful little girl!

Happy Nine Months home Lilly Yin, and forever to go!

3 comments:

Shannon said...

She is beautiful and does look so happy! Happy 9 months together!

Jan said...

Beautiful Lilly!! We wish you a Happy 9 months together as a family!!! May you cherish each and every moment!! It is unbelievable how fast the time goes by!!! Come the end of May, we will be a family TWO YEARS!!! I just don't know where the time went!!!

Chris said...

Amazing isn't it???

I just love how God works in our lives!!!! And in our children's lives!!! So cool!!!

Your daughter is the cutest little thing!!!

Love that picture!!!