Thursday, June 17, 2010

So I started thinking.....

Today Lilly and I had quite the excursion! We were so tired of hanging around the house for the last few days, so we decide to go explore and see what we could find to get into. First we went to the butterfly museum. Lilly had so much fun looking at the animals and insects...well except the snakes, we were both a bit freaked out by those. Then we had lunch and decided to stop by a thrift store. Lilly is desperately looking for a Powerpuff Girl movie, which we have yet to find. Anyway, at the store there was a shelf of junkie toys that Lilly just HAD to check out. We were standing there, and I was as close to her as I could possibly be, doing NOTHING wrong, when a store employee came up to Lilly and said, in a mean way, " Where is your Mommy, you can not be here alone." Of course as soon as she said it Lilly looked up at me with the What did I do wrong look. Of course I told her I AM her Mommy, in my Momma bear voice. To which she said, " Oh well you don't look like her." I was so shocked, that I did not even have a come back (which if you know me, really IS a shock).

Which got me thinking....

I suppose everyone who looks at us together immediately thinks about our differences, and makes an assumption. I guess I was so shocked because I don't think about it. I look into my daughters face and see nothing more or less but my daughter. Thats all. The face of my child. I don't see Asian. I don't see adoption. I don't see different.

It hit me like a ton of bricks. The employee did not think for a second that she was my daughter! Next time we go back, I WILL be wearing this shirt:


And Lilly will be sporting this one:


After that drama, we went to play at Fiesta Plaza, which was super fun! Then we had ice cream! While at Fiesta Plaza I was talking to this grandmother who had brought her grandchildren to play. She was nice enough, but then she asked "the question". You know the one, Why China? Why not adopt American kids. At this point I was beginning to feel like a carnival freak show. So I said, "well we just thank God that he pointed us to the child that we were meant to have and it has been absolutely perfect. We are so lucky to have her." Thankfully that shut her up. So the next time we go to Fiesta Plaza, I will be wearing a shirt that says this:And Lilly's will say this:




All in all we had a fabulous day, and I refuse to let anyone's ignorance get to me. Although had I had my shirt on and Lilly had her shirt on, and those people had this shirt on, a lot could have been avoided.
Ahhh! I think we will just enjoy a quiet day at home tomorrow.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh boy...that is what every outing has been like for the last 8.5 years! People make me crazy!!! We get it the most when we are at Costco and they are giving out samples...I can be right next to my child, talking to them, and we still get the "where is your mother?" And when I say I'm their mother, they question me, "This is your child?" GRRRRRR!!!

I'm sorry you guys had to go through that...it stinks. How did Lilly handle it?

Stroup Family said...

I just found your blog. I am so sorry that happened to you! Our little tanned-skin, dark-haired Guatemalan blessings look nothing like my blonde-headed self, so I get asked those ignorant questions too. Joe and Ella look no different to us, and we don't treat them differently either... some people just do NOT get it! But they sure are missing out!
I LOVE the "Why China?" sticker you posted... it says things perfectly! Lilly is adorable!!!
-Shari Stroup

Chris said...

I just had the privilege of talking to a group of ladies at my church about 'Positive Adoption Language'.

Some people {unfortunately} do not think before they open their mouths!!!

I think a lot of it has to do with lack of education, knowledge, and plain ole common sense!

Sorry you had two encounters on one day!!
You will get to the point where you will know just what to say...and you will say it with grace & dignity....and give the other person something to think about!

:)

Stephanie said...

Hey! I saw you posted a comment on my blog, but once I ppublished it I couldnt find it to read it in full. But, I was hoping you got the invite to the blog! :)

Kelley said...

Those are some terrific shirts! We had the "don't tell my parents..." onesie.

People can be amazingly rude! Despite the rudeness, though, it looks like you had a great time!

(Thanks for becoming a follower on my embroidery blog...that's how I found you!)

Bobby and Regina said...

I love the shirts!! So far, we've not had any negative experiences, but lots of people do! We just got home from the beach last weekend - thought you might have been there! Maybe we will catch up again one day! Lilly is a beautiful little girl!! You are indeed blessed! Love, Regina